Bundesliga
Back
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google +

Rumour reel: Liverpool to submit a final bid for Keita

Frank Monkhouse | 22 July 2017

If £80m doesn’t work, The Reds are out

We told you earlier this week that Liverpool were lining up a shock move for Hull defender Andrew Robertson, and that’s just what happened. The Reds paid £10m for the Scotsman, and he is seen as the future of the club’s left-back position.

Elsewhere, and Chelsea made headlines with the £60m transfer of Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid. That rates as a club record fee for the Londoners, with Morata signing a five-year deal. It is now less than three weeks to the start of the Premier League season. Here’s the highlights of the rumour reel on Saturday.

Leipzig not interested in money

Liverpool have had a couple of offers for Naby Keita rejected by RB Leipzig, but the player is said to be keen on a move to Anfield, meaning it’s just a matter of time before the clubs come to an agreement. The magic number expected to push the deal over the line is £80m, and Jurgen Klopp is about to test that theory this weekend. Football insiders say Leipzig would buckle under pressure, while Liverpool are eager to get this one done and dusted in time for the big kick-off. Leipzig owner Dietrich Mateschitz told the German press recently that money is no object, and hanging on to Keita is fast becoming a matter of principal.

Barkley to choose between Arsenal and Spurs

London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham are ready to battle it out for Everton’s Ross Barkley. The 23-year-old wants a way out of Goodison Park, apparently to strengthen his push for a place in next year’s World Cup, and it looks like game time would be thin on the ground next season following Ronald Koeman’s supercharged recruitment drive. Barkley only has a year left on his current contract, but has since failed to sign an extension. Spurs have been strongly liked with the England cap, but Arsenal are set to offer the player an attractive alternative. He’ll want his future sorted quickly. We will keep you updated.

Monaco knockback City’s bid

Finishing at the Etihad, and it’s no surprise to see Man City liked to just about every major name in European football, as they are during every transfer window. Newspaper reports tell us Pep Guardiola bid £44m for Monaco left-back Benjamin Mendy, but had that kicked into touch. Throwing money around doesn’t impress everyone, it would seem. They are set to sort things out on the other flank however, with Real Madrid right-back Danilo to sign over the weekend. In doing so, he will turn his back on an offer from Chelsea, who have been luckless this summer. If they do get that one sorted, it will take their spending to £220m. No wonder our traders want to keep them close in the Premier League outright market.

Follow the latest from the summer transfer window here