Uruguay and Liverpool forward Luis Suarez has been banned for nine international matches and four months from “any football-related activity”, FIFA have confirmed, following his bite on Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during his side’s 1-0 victory. He has also been fined 100,000 Swiss Francs (over £65,000).

FIFA also stated that Suarez will be allowed to transfer clubs, however, if the Reds decide to offload the 27-year-old.

The ban means he will be unavailable for the rest of the World Cup, including his country’s next match against Colombia in the last 16, which they are 11/4 to win in 90 minutes. Uruguay Football Association president Wilmar Valdez has confirmed they will appeal, but Suarez will play no more part in these Brazil finals whatever the outcome.

As a result of this, his club Liverpool’s Premier League title odds with Coral have drifted from 11/2 third-equal with Manchester United, to 7/1. Uruguay, meanwhile, were 25/1 to win the World Cup, but are now 33/1.

FIFA media relations manager Delia Fischer said in a statement: “The player Luis Suarez is suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity.

“The FIFA disciplinary committee has decided the player is regarded as having breached article 48 paragraph one and article 57. The player is to be suspended for nine matches, the first is the upcoming match between Uruguay and Colombia on Saturday [June 28th].

“An appeal may be lodged by the player and/or Uruguay FA,” Fischer added.

At club level, Suarez will miss Liverpool’s first nine Premier League fixtures, including a crunch clash with Manchester City and the Merseyside derby; the first three Champions League group stage games and at least one Capital One Cup tie. This makes a total of 13 matches minimum, with the ban ceasing at the end of October, and he will be available to play against Newcastle United on November 1st.

The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee Claudio Sulser, meanwhile, said: “Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field.

“The Disciplinary Committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suarez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code. The decision comes into force as soon it is communicated.”

FIFA added: “A stadium ban is pronounced against the player Luis Suarez in accordance with art. 21 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code as follows: the player Luis Suarez is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium during the period of the ban (point 3).

“The player Luis Suarez is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium in which the representative team of Uruguay is playing while he has to serve the nine-match suspension (point 2).

“The player Luis Suarez is ordered to pay a fine in the amount of 100,000 Swiss Francs.”

FIFA vice president Jim Boyce, on the matter, also added: “I think the punishment handed out to Luis Suarez is fully justified. Hopefully he will have learnt that this type of behaviour cannot be tolerated.”

About The Author

Short-suffering Manchester United fan Sam joined the team in January 2014, having worked previously in the sport business sector as well as for other publications online and in print. After being top scorer in the history of the now defunct AGNI FC in the prestigious ID League at Oxford Brookes Uni, an early retirement means Sam can spend the rest of his days writing about the likes of football, cricket, darts, tennis, F1, golf and many more.