Rumour reel: Mourinho guarantees de Gea will stay
What’s making news on Monday
The Man City summer spending spree continued when snapping up Real Madrid right-back Danilo in a move worth £26.5m. It was no surprise to see the Brazilian sign on at the Etihad, but The Citizens have got to be respected for the way they have handled business during this transfer window.
The board have backed manager Pep Guardiola to the end, and Danilo won’t be the last. It’s little wonder Coral traders have them marked down as favourites to win the Premier League this season. What else is making headlines on Monday? Follow the latest from our rumour reel…..
Jose says de Gea going nowhere
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea will not be moving to Real Madrid this summer, according to manager Jose Mourinho. Speaking to the media over the weekend, The Special One told fans he can guarantee the player will not be leaving The Theatre of Dreams this season. That comes as a bit of a surprise, with rumours linking the 26-year-old shot-stopper to a move back to La Liga for most of the summer. United bosses said last year they were open to selling de Gea to Blancos, but that’s no longer an option for Jose, who aims to build a team capable of competing in both the Champions League and Premier League. With that statement, we’ll read between the lines and take it as confirmation Cristiano Ronaldo will not be making a comeback.
Coutinho could persuade Neymar to stay
Barcelona remain interested in Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho, and although Jurgen Klopp believes the 25-year-old Brazilian is comfortable at Anfield, and not looking for a move, the La Liga giants are ready to test The Reds’ breaking point. Ernesto Valverde’s side, who finished second in the Spanish top-flight last term, will send in an £80m bid for the highly rated midfielder. Just to make things interesting, reports in the Spanish press tell us that Barca believe signing Coutinho would help settle countryman Neymar, who looks set to move to PSG in a £196m deal. If Valverde can persuade Newymar to stay, the £80m on Coutinho would be seen as money well spent. We’ll bring you updates on that as and when it comes through.
Conte wants to keep spending
Chelsea took a while to get going this summer, but have now spent £130m, and manager Antonio Conte’s side looks frightening on paper. The boss plans to defend his Premier League title above all else, but making a real impact in Europe will also feature highly on his list of priorities. The spending will continue as they ready a bid for Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, hoping to tempt the 23-year-old across London this week. The boys from the bridge will have a fight on their hands however, with Manchester City also said to be sniffing around. Conte wants a few more newbies before the transfer window slams shut, and we’re sure he’ll get them too. One man heading in the opposite direction is Nemanja Matic, who is on his way to Manchester United.